If you know someone who has made significant and public contributions in any of the following categories, we invite you to nominate that person by virtue of a letter of recommendation. Members of the Task Force will review every nomination and select the honorees. They will be presented with their award at the 2022 MLK Community Breakfast and Celebration on Monday, January 16, 2023.
The awards and criteria are as follows:
2023 MLK Community Building Award:
- Nominees should be persons who have made significant contributions in building a sense of unity among Hamblen County citizens.
- Nominees should have publicly demonstrated their ability in building a stronger, more inclusive community through identifiable activities and programs.
2023 MLK Award for Advancing Cultural Awareness
- Nominees should demonstrate both an appreciation for diversity and inclusion and possess and use his/her/their skills in building and maintaining harmonious cross-cultural relationships through cultural activities or programs.
- Nominees shall have accomplished specific cultural initiatives that foster Dr. King’s vision of unity among people of diverse backgrounds.
2023 Martin Luther King, Jr. Award for Service and Advocacy
- Nominees should be persons engaged in providing services and/or advocacy for the human rights of those marginalized because of poverty, race or ethnicity, national origin, gender, age or any other reason.
- Nominees shall have publicly demonstrated and accomplished goals which have given voice and visibility to those who are marginalized.
Send the name of the nominee, the award you believe he or she deserves, his or her contact information and a letter of recommendation to
Dr. Alpha Alexander
230 Montrose Ave
Morristown, TN 37813-5259
The deadline for receiving nominations is January 7, 2023